Pages

Master Closet Makeover

Nine years.  Yep it took us nine friggin years to finally do something about our master closet.  As I said here, we really do not know what we are doing when it comes to all things house & home DIY.  But from now on we are going to give it our best shot and here is a start.  Our master closet is not very big.  I jokingly call it a step-in closet versus a walk-in closet.  ‘Cause that’s what it is folks.  A step-in closet but step back to look over your wardrobe choices or else you will get cross-eyed from being so close.  Nope, not my dream closet at all.  I mean this is a dream closet for moi:
Photo found here
However, Mr. DP3 is my dream guy so I won’t complain too much.  hehe.
It is a good thing this post is not a tutorial because I sure am lacking lots of info and some all the before photos.  Moreover, let’s face it; I’m no one to start giving tutorials- yet.  J
You see my hubby decided to tackle this project on a weekend that I was a little sickly pooh.  Therefore, while I spent almost three days strung out on the couch with a woe-is-me look on my face, he became my hot carpenter guy. 
He knocked down the one and only shelf and took down the bars that went with it.  You know that generic three sided closet that home builders skillfully do (insert sarcasm) with the one shelf and bar underneath that run the entire length of the closet and two bars on the sides.  Very odd in my opinion because it is not a great use of space.  Our closet is a standard reach-in closet that is about 96” in length and about 25” deep (cannot remember exact measurements). 
So with those measurements my hubby designed a plan in his head and then drew it out with his finger in mid-air.  Yep, he had us standing in front of the closet while he “showed” me where the new shelf would go, the two bars for his side, the shoe rack, and then the shelf and bar for my side of the closet.  We did not even bother drawing it on paper.  We should have but it worked out well in the end.  He jotted a few measurements for the shoe rack but that was about it.  

He knocked it down then spackled (is that a word?) and sanded the wall all along the shelf line.  He then painted the entire closet an off-white color.  And here's proof that he's no pro but gave it the old college try.  It's in the closet which means it is covered and can't be seen.  yay.

Shelf evidence.
Before you see the grand finale I need you to imagine the BEFORE shot.  Come on, people, work with me.  I was too sick to remember to take photos and once I did remember it was too late.  I was kicking myself.  So the BEFORE shot had one shelf all along the length of the closet with a bar under it.  There were also two bars on each side of the closet along the depth of the closet.  The long bar intersected with the short depth bars causing a clothes traffic jam.  Then we had folded clothes on the shelf ye high.  Those clothes were like the Tower of Pisa, leaning and sometimes falling over.  Lastly, there were a couple of tote boxes and shoes all over the floor, except for the two shoe small shoe racks. 
Now we have this. Oh yeah boyeeeeee! Cue music as if the heavens were opening up and a collective high pitch Aaaaaaaahhhhhhh!:

Organization!

My side of the closet.

We later realized that a shelf should
have been added here.

Hubby gets two bars. A top...

and a bottom.

Right here he plans to have some kind
of wall rack for his belts and ties.


Mr. DP3 even used the pretty, decorative brackets for me.

I wanted a nice wood color finish.
We used Minwax in Cherry #235.
There ye have it.  Our much improved master closet.  Just in case you missed it, most of my shoes are in the shoe racks.  Heehee.  Hey, I'm a girly girl and I LOVE shoes.  Hubby only has four pairs.  He preferred to have more shelves for his shirts and I for my shoes.  So far it's working out great.  We just need to make a few minor additions.  All in all this closet makeover cost us just under $200.  That price includes the paint, wood, stain,  polyurethane, and all the other supplies.  The tools we already owned: radial arm saw, table saw, drill, dado blade (huh?).  So what do ya think?  Not bad for a couple beginners.  Oh wait.  I was sick.  I mean not bad for one determined husband that is quickly becoming a carpentry fan.  It's in his blood.  His grandpa is a genius at all things carpentry. Go Honey!


Look at him.  Shy and proud.  :)


1 comment:

Comments tickle me pink! Thank you for stopping by and browsing around these parts. :)

Snack Station {Halloween}

Hello, happy Friday and happy kickoff to Halloween weekend!  I know, I know I’m rarely on here but I finally got a light under my butt to p...