Pages

A Special 'Handmade' Thanksgiving Wreath

Hello, hello.  It has been a while and I'm sawy.  I have been super busy lately and lots of holiday stuff is sneaking up on moi.  As I said before, everyday I'm shuffa-ling!

Okay, so Thanksgiving is a little over a week away and I finally finally made a very simple wreath for my door.  I wanted a wreath using the hand traced cut outs of my kids' hands.  After some world wide web searching for ideas I decided to use my kids hands as the feathers of a turkey.  So this is what I created:


As you can imagine, it was very simple to do except it took a little bit of time making the turkeys.  Other than that it was easy to put together.

I made the turkeys using:
  • soft foam sheets: red, orange, brown, beige
  • yellow, white and black card stock
  • adhesive pop-ups
  • glue and hot glue gun
Step 1:
I traced the hands of my boy and girl on each sheet.


Oh yes that is a Dallas Cowboys pencil I am using.  Loyal fan for-eva!

Step 2:
After tracing their hands, I cut them each out and used one set for each turkey (a totoal of four hands for each turkey). 

Step 3:
I placed each hand cut out on top of one another until it formed the feather formation I liked.  I glued each one together with my hot glue gun.  For the bodies of the turkeys, I used a small bowl and a cup to trace and cut out from the brown foam sheet. Again, I glued the bodies to the feathers with my hot glue gun.


Step 4:
I made the eyes the same way I did my halloween treat bags.  I used the the white card stock and black pop-ups on the bigger turkey; and the black card stock and white pop-ups on the smaller one.
As for the nose, I just snipped a corner off of some yellow card stock and voila I had me some noses.


Step 5:
After my turkey assembly, I grabbed my wreath and glued on some dried natural grass to create a nest.  Glued my birds on top of that and then decorated it with fall floral picks.  I added some ribbon to hang it up and I was done.  Although I need to learn how to properly make a bow. No, I don't know how to make one.  Gasp!




My first Thanksgiving wreath and it has a special 'hand' made touch.  I love it.  Next year I'll add a couple of improvements but for now I am content and so happy that I was able to incorporate my babies hands.  Happy Mama.  :)

I'm linking up with these fab bloggers:

2 comments:

  1. This is so cute and special!!
    We would love to have you link up to our "Home For The Holidays" link party!

    www.uncommondesignsonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe! That's so cute! (I miss my girls being little and their contributions to decorating). Thanks so much for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments tickle me pink! Thank you for stopping by and browsing around these parts. :)

Snack Station {Halloween}

Hello, happy Friday and happy kickoff to Halloween weekend!  I know, I know I’m rarely on here but I finally got a light under my butt to p...